What is Genius Hour?
Genius hour is a time that allows students to explore their own passions and encourages creativity in the classroom. It provides students a choice in what they learn during a set period of time during school.
Where Did This Idea Come From?
The search-engine giant, Google, allows it’s engineers to spend 20% of their time to work on any pet project that they want. The idea is very simple. Allow people to work on something that interests them, and productivity will go up. Their idea worked! We can all thank Genius Hour for the creation of Gmail.
Genius Hour in Our Classroom
The same genius hour principles that are used by google, will be applied in our classroom this year. Each week, students will be given time to work on passion projects. Don’t worry, throughout the process the teacher (Mrs. Reading, will be there to facilitate the student projects to support growth and learning. These passion projects take time, and cannot be completed in one week. They are meant to challenge and inspire each student to work harder.
Genius Hour Process
The process is simple:
- First, the students identify their passions and come up with questions. Now these questions are intended to spark new learning. If you can find the answer with a simple Google search, the student will have to dig deeper.
- Second, the students will research and explore their topic using multiple sources (online, books, interviews, movies, documentaries, vlogs, blogs, podcasts, etc.)
- Third, the students will create something. It can be a website, a blog, a garden, the sky is the limit.
- Finally, the students must SHARE their work on a large-scale. They will present to the class, but they must also find ways to share what they have created with the world. Knowledge is not meant to stay within the four walls of our classroom.
Check Out Our Genius Hour Passion Project Ideas
- How can I create an indoor classroom garden using recycled materials? – Lilly
- What are other types of fuels to run homemade cars? -Jack
- How can I design a new classroom chair to help kids learn? -Anthony
- How can I create a FREE website to teach kids about football? -Xavier
- How can I create a website to teach children about fire safety? -Carter
- How can I create jewelry using materials found in nature? -Najah
- How can I create an online game to teach kids to read? -Mrs. Reading